Sometimes termed as Oral Ulcer, the Mouth Ulcer is caused when the damage occurs to the mucous membrane in the inner mouth or oral cavity. It’s a painful situation as the patient can’t eat properly. Sometimes it feels like burning and the patient feels discomfort. In Mouth Ulcer the patient avoids any salty or spicy food and the beverages as every such food increase the pain and discomfort to the patient. Most of the times mouth ulcer stays hardly a week and it is very rare and alarming if it stays for more than ten days. Here are some symptoms, causes and home remedies for mouth ulcer are listed below:
Causes of Mouth Ulcer
There’s no single or direct cause for mouth ulcer. It can be caused by various reasons and some of such reasons and causes are mentioned below:
- Most of the times mouth ulcer occurs by eating something salty or of sharp edges which cause damage to mucous membrane which is very sensitive and thinner than even your outer skin layer. You might have observed this situation when you excessively eat salty snacks like chips.
- Accidental biting is another cause of mouth ulcer and very common one. In unawareness you sometimes bite your mucous and the sharp edges of your teeth damage it.
- Eating very hot food sometimes causes oral ulcer.
- Rarely it happens as a side effect of some medicine like Cytotoxic, Alendronate and Propylthiouracil etc.
- The most obvious and common reason of Mouth Ulcer are the “ranker sores” often termed as Aphthous stomatitis by the doctors. There are three common types of aphthous stomatitis that may cause oral ulcer. Minor Aphothous is the most common one which normally appears on the floor, inside cheeks or lips. They vanish within a week in normal circumstances. Major aphothous is less common but a severe type of aphotous ulceration which can remain painful till 40 days. The third and rare type of aphothous stomatitis is herpetiform ulceration.
- Sometimes the mouth ulcer is caused by some type of allergy like due to some chemical in toothpaste, drug or some allergic food.
Mouth Ulcer Symptoms
The most obvious symptom of mouth ulcer is discomfort due to pain and burning like feeling inside mouth. The patient can’t eat properly due to pain as the food and spices touches the canker sores. The appearance of canker sores tells about the type of mouth ulcer. If these are not more than six and 2-4 millimeters in size then it’s minor aphothous ulceration. But if the size is bigger i.e. larger than 1 cm then it’s major aphothous ulceration which may cause severe trouble for the patient till forty days.
Home Remedies for Mouth Ulcer
Most of the time the mouth ulcer is left untreated as it heals automatically after few days and no direct treatment is required or available. To treat the oral ulcer, we have to find the cause first. Some temporary treatments and preventions are:
- The very first step is to remove the actual cause of the sores.
- An antiseptic mouth spray can heal it rapidly.
- Topical steroids can reduce the pain and the burning feeling.
- To reduce the pain, Benzydamine Mouthwash is very effective.
- Avoid spicy foods and beverages.
Follow the above mentioned home remedies for mouth ulcer to get instant cure.