Conjunctivitis is commonly known as pink eye that is caused due to irritation or inflammation of the transparent membrane of eyelid. The white part of the eye around eye ball gets pinkish or reddish in appearance. It is caused normally due to infection caused by bacteria or virus. Or sometimes, it is due to allergic reaction. It is highly contagious that spread easily through eye contact but proper and in time treatment minimizes the effect of spread. Here are some causes, symptoms and home remedies for pink eye are listed below:
Pink Eye Causes
- Three of the very common causes for pink eye are the infections caused by viruses, bacteria and can be reaction of allergy.
- In contact with acids or chemical; such that splash of chemical
- Any extraneous object in the eye cause irritation
- Excess rubbing result in form of redness in the eyes
- Due to blockage of tear duct, especially in new born babies cause redness in the eyes
Viral or bacterial
It is normally allied with cold, cough or the symptoms of the respiratory tract infections. As both of the infections are highly catching so through contact anyone get easily infected. In case of viral infection, watery discharge come out of the eyes while in case of bacterial discharge, yellowish-green discharge comes out. It is one of the major identification to distinguish between the infections.
In case of allergic reactions, sneezing and watery discharge from nose is very common. In order to treat this condition eye drops give soothing affect.
Pink Eye Symptoms
Its symptoms are very obvious and easily refer to this disease. Some of the common signs of pink eye are as follow:
- Watery eyes
- Redness around eye ball either in one eye or in both eyes
- Itchiness and irritation
- Tenacious feelings in the eyes
- In severe conditions a discharge is coming out of the eyes that form a crust and difficult in opening of the eyes
- Ratio of tearing increases
- Eye sight is affected and appear in form of blurred vision
Home Remedies for Pink Eye
For the treatment of Pink Eye, first of all it is necessary to identify the root cause of it. In case of bacterial infections numerous eye drops and ointments are available that help to give relief. Moreover, these ointments help to reduce the effect of blurred vision. In order to control the recurrence of infections, doctors recommend the complete course of antibiotics.
In contrast to this viral infections take time to recover. For this numerous antiviral medications are available that prevent you from severe and serious conditions.
For allergic reactions, eye drops are available in form of OTC medication that lessens down the redness in the eyes. Plus you can also take antihistamines and cell stabilizers to control the inflammatory effect.
Along with these medications, some of the common home remedies for pink eye are very helpful including:
- Sprinkle your eyes with cold water or compress your eyes with soaked clean linen cloth in cold water. It is very effective in reducing the risk of redness
- Artificial tears drops are available that are effective for allergic reactions
- In case of conjunctivitis, stop wearing contact lenses till the time your eyes get normal and feel better.