Fever also is known as pyrexia, or controlled hyperthermia is a temporary rise in body temperature as a result of certain illness. Fever itself is not a disease rather it is a symptom of the disease. It is a protective mechanism by which body responds to certain illnesses or infections. Normally body temperature varies during 24 hours, and it is affected by eating, sleeping, and physical activity. So, if the temperature is raised above normal body temperature range that is 36-37 degree centigrade or 98-100 degrees Fahrenheit than it is labelled as fever. Fever causes extreme discomfort however it is not a cause of concern till it reaches above 102-degree Fahrenheit or if it is not resolving after 2-3 days without any fever remedies.
Table of Contents
- 1 Causes of Fever
- 2 Symptoms of Fever
- 3 Natural Home Remedies For Fever in Adults
- 4 How to Get Rid of a Fever In Babies
- 5 Home Remedies For Fever In Toddlers
Causes of Fever
As mentioned above fever is a body’s response to illness. Common illnesses causing fever as a first symptom are:
- Infections can be viral or bacterial and can be in any body organ like lungs, gastrointestinal, urinary tract, etc. and the list of infective diseases is not ending. Some common is tonsillitis, bronchitis, urinary tract infections.
- Fever can be manifested as a side effect of drugs.
- Vaccines after some vaccines you might experience fever.
- Certain inflammatory diseases of joints like rheumatoid arthritis.
- Heat stroke can also cause fever
- Cancer or any malignant tumor can also manifest as fever.
Symptoms of Fever
You may experience any symptoms from the following if you have a fever:
- Shivering and chills
- Body aches
- Feeling lethargy
- Generalized weakness
- Loss of appetite
See Also : Home Remedies for Hay Fever
Natural Home Remedies For Fever in Adults
Although mild fever does not require any management as fever is causing discomfort people want to get rid of a fever as soon as possible. So, we are going to tell you some of the best home remedies for fever which you can easily do and free yourself from fever. Because home remedies for fever are somewhat different for adults and children, we will discuss fever remedies separately for different age groups.
How to Cure Fever with Water
Water is best remedy for fever. It will help in reducing body temperature and alleviate your symptoms. You can either take a bath with lukewarm which will help you in relaxing but do it if possible. The other way is to dip a cloth in cold water and put this damp cloth on your forehead. Do it sometimes until you feel the temperature drop. You can also put a damp cotton cloth under your feet and cover it with cotton socks so that cold water dampen cloth helps to get rid of a fever.
Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of a Fever Fast
Next best natural fever reducer is Apple Cider Vinegar. You can use it in the same way by mixing one part of apple cider vinegar in two parts of cold water. Soak a cloth and place a damp cloth on your forehead. It will quickly bring your body temperature down.
You can also drink apple cider vinegar by mixing two tablespoons of ACV, one tablespoon of honey in one cup of water. Drink this solution at least thrice a day.
How to Break a Fever with Ginger & Garlic
Next natural high fever remedies for adults are Ginger & Garlic, both these are powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory having analgesic properties. Make a tea by adding a clove of garlic and a small piece of ginger in water and make it boil for some time to get maximum health benefits of ginger and garlic. Once boiled allow it to cool and try to drink it warm. Drink it two to three times a day, and it’ll make you fever free.
Turmeric: A Natural Fever Reducer for Adults
Turmeric is one of the natures gifted medicine to treat diseases. It has anti-inflammatory properties. It helps to improve your immunity to fight against illnesses. It’ll make your fever and pain-free in a little time. One of the best home remedies for fever is to mix a half teaspoon of turmeric powder in a hot cup of milk and drink it warm at least twice a day. You can include this regimen in everyday routine as it protects you from diseases.
Mint & Coriander to Reduce Fever
The quick home remedy for fever is to boil water with some mint and coriander leaves and drink it 3-4 times a day. It will reduce your fever quickly. Mint has a natural cooling effect which will make your body cool internally. Coriander has vitamins and phytonutrients which will help your immune system to fight against infections.
How to Get Rid of a Fever In Babies
The temperature range in babies for fever is different than adults. For babies under one year of age normally body temperature is higher so if the temperature is above 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Best natural remedies for fever in babies are:
- Keep baby comfortably warm. Don’t put blankets on the baby. Use light clothes
- Lukewarm baths can help to reduce fever.
- Keep hydrated baby well with breast milk if baby is less than six months and with water and juices if babily is above six months
- Make baby rest and try to soothe baby.
Home Remedies For Fever In Toddlers
If you feel your kid who is above, one year of age is running a fever just try our best natural remedies for fever in toddlers:
- Apply damp soaked cloth in cold water on your child’s forehead. It will help to reduce fever.
- Make him/her have lukewarm water bath if possible.
- Hydrate well. Hydration reduces body temperature.
- Use light clothes on the child. Keeping him too warm is a hindrance in reducing fever.
- Use a fan to keep air circulated throughout the room.
- Make the child rest and stay indoors as much as possible.
Besides all of the above-mentioned fever remedies, it is advisable for every individual who is running a fever to have a good rest and sleep. Try to avoid daily routine work or job for a day or two to maximize healing process. Eat a healthy diet rich in proteins as eggs, poultry, and dairy products. Have soups. Once fever is reduced or settled, you can start your normal routine jobs.