It is the sharp and burning pain in either of the ear or both ears. This is temporary pain that is normally caused either due to some infection or as a sign of flu and cough. Here are some causes, symptoms and home remedies for earache are listed below:
Earache is normally caused due to some infection or injury. It is normally in form of irritation and pain in the ear. It originated from the jaws and teeth and ends at the ear. Some of the common reasons are as follow:
- Move to low pressure or high altitude areas
- Increase in ratio of ear wax
- Any foreign object or insect enter in to ear
- Soreness and tenderness in throat
- Infection in sinuses
- Water or chemical enter in to ear
- Excess usage of cotton swabs in the ear
- Any teeth infection
- Pierced ear drum
- Arthritis that affect the jaws
- Feeling of dizziness
- Severe pain in entire ear region
- Swelling around the ears
- Weakness of facial muscles
- Pain, tenderness and irritation
Home Remedies for Earache
If you have an ear infection, doctors recommend taking antibiotics and specific ear drops. This will help to clear up the infection. Try to complete full antibiotic course so as to prevent it from getting severity.
If you have ear pain due to wax, wax softening drops are available that help to flush away the extra wax from ear. Similarly, sinus infection based ear drops are available that help to improve the pain of ears.
Along with these treatments some of the home remedies for earache are very effective in minimizing the pain including:
- Pad the ears with the cloth washed in cold water
- Avoid to get the ear wet
- In order to release the pressure, sit in the upright posture
- OTC drops are very effective in giving relief as well as prevent the ear drum from rupture
- Chewing gum is very effective in relieving pressure
- Similarly feeding is very helpful to relieve pressure in children
- For quick relief, take pain killer like Tylenol or iburopen
On the safe hand side, some of the precautionary measures should be adopted.
- Avoid smoking near children. Because smoking is one of the main reasons for ear infections that result in ear pains. Moreover smoking is very dangerous in terms of health and fitness
- Prevent the ear from entering foreign object into the ear. Especially keep it dry after bath or swimming
- Ear pain can be the result of dust or pollen allergic reactions and infection. So to protect it from sinus allergies, nasal sprays keep you safe and sound from pain. Plus antihistamines and decongestants will prevent you from infections.
- If in any case any foreign object enters into the ear, immediately consult the doctor.
- For sinus blockage, take proper medicines that will give relief to ear pain as well. In some case a yellowish drainage comes out the ear that is the indication that ear drum may have ruptured.