Corns and calluses are the thick hardened layer of skin due to excessive pressure, injury or friction. It appears normally on the feet and toes or hands and fingers. It may also cause due to poor circulation of blood especially in diabetic patients. Here are some causes, symptoms and home remedies for corns and calluses are listed below:
Table of Contents
Corns and Calluses Causes:
One of the main reasons of corns and calluses is pressure and friction which can of different reasons like:
- Uncomfortable shoes and ill fitting. Such that too tight and too loose shoes compress the heals and feet and constant rubbing cause the bumps
- Poorly seamed and stitching also cause rubbing
- Wearing shoes without socks can lead to the friction
- Use of hard and tight hand tools like garden tools result in repeated pressure
- Use of high heel put pressure on the front of feet
Corns and Calluses Symptoms:
- A thick and hard area of skin
- Raised bumps
- Tenderness and pain under the skin
- Waxy skin
Though corns are smaller than calluses but are more hardened in the center and have inflammatory affect. These are very painful when pressed and mostly develop between the toes. As compare to this calluses are developed on the heels and palm and difficult in performing the activities. They are of different sizes and shapes.
Home Remedies for Corns and Calluses :
Corns and calluses are diagnosed after the physical examination of patient. If you are patient of diabetes and chronic diseases, then immediately consult the doctor for its treatment. If these corns and calluses do not cause pain, then there is no need of treatment. The only need is to remove the pressure and friction so as to avoid the next corns and calluses.
Some of the following treatments are done for the cure of corns and calluses.
- With the help of scalpel, these bumps are trimmed down. But try to avoid it until it get pained
- Salicylic acid is helpful in removing the dead and hard skin
- In case of infection, always use antibiotic ointment in order to reduce the risk of toxicities
- Doctors normally recommend having extra padding in the shoes just to reduce the friction. This is very effective in preventing corns or calluses
- In case of severe and infectious corns or calluses, surgery is done. This is done to align the bones that cause friction or putting extra pressure
Along with these treatments some of the home remedies for corns and calluses are as follow:
- Use of medicated shoes and medicated padding will not only protect from extra rubbing but also keep you at ease. Most of medicated pad have salicylic acid which help to keep the skin healthy and reduce the impact of infections
- In case of minor corns, soak your feet or hand in Luke warm water. It softens the corns and calluses that make it easier to remove the hardened skin.
- After taking the bath, try to remove the thin skin with the help of pumice stone and cloth. It will also help to remove the hard skin as well. Don’t use the sharp object to remove or trim the hard skin, because it will enhance the risk of infections.
- Keep your feet and hand moisturized in the dry and damp weathers
- Always wear comfortable and fit in shoes. And better to wear cotton and absorbent