Constipation is the condition in which a patient feels difficulty in passing the stool. It is the infrequent bowel movements. It is severe gastrointestinal problem. It ranges from acute to chronic constipation conditions. Here are some causes, symptoms and home remedies for constipation are listed below:
- Constipation normally occur when the waste or stool get hard and dry and moves slowly through digestive tract
- Due to less intake of fluids and water, the already present water in the body is absorbed in the waste and the muscles of the large intestine get contracted and become the cause of constipation
- Similarly, less intake of fiber based food gets the stool harden, dried and contracted the colon muscles
Along with these basic reasons there are number of interlinked factors that cause constipation like:
- Improper non fiber food
- Delaying or ignoring the urge of bowel movement
- Changes in the hormones or body conditions or lifestyle like in case of pregnancy, travelling etc.
- In case of diabetes, heart stroke etc.
- Intake of excessive pain killers and certain medications of depressions and high blood pressure
- Inactive secretion of thyroid gland
- Loss of body salts in case of diarrhea
- Severe injuries of spinal cord that damage the nerve that lead to and from intestine
- Hormonal disturbance
- Colon related diseases
See Also: Home Remedies for Weight Loss
It is one of the greatest misconception that missing a bowel movement for one days means you have constipation. Though it is not like that. In order to identify the condition of constipation, if you have any of the following two symptoms from the last six month then it means you are really suffering from this.
- Pass less than three bowel movements a day
- Feel difficulty in passing the stool
- Have intense strain during bowel movements
- Feeling of rectal blockage and severe rectal pain
- Feeling that you haven’t evacuate the bowel completely
- You need manual evacuation during bowel movement such that use of finger or manipulation of lower abdomen
- Indication of blood in the stool
- Intense abdominal pain
- Body Weight loss without any solid reason
Home Remedies for Constipation
By changing the dietary habits and lifestyle pattern, the condition of constipation can easily be overcome. Some of the following Home Remedies for Constipation are not only helpful to reduce the constipation problems but also are very easy to adopt.
- Intake of high fiber food not only fulfills the need of the body but also help to make the stool soft and bulky. Like fresh fruits, vegetables, use of whole grains and beans etc. try to limitize the food containing less or no fiber like cheese, meat, processed and canned food
- Some light sports or other such physical activities with moderate exercise can help in keeping the metabolism of the body normal and stimulate the intestine
- Take plenty of fluids and water that help to soften the stool
- Do not ignore the urge to have bowel movements
Along with these precautionary and preventive measures, some of over the counter (OTC) medications are also very helpful.
- Fiber supplements are available that help to maintain the optimal level of water in the body
- Numerous lubricants are available that allow the stool to easily move through colon
- Stool softener medications help to prevent you from dehydration