Canker sores are the small ulcers appear in the jaws, teeth and mouth. This is due to viral infection that affects the base of the gums. This is due to weak immune system or any allergic reaction. Here are some causes, symptoms and home remedies for canker sores are listed below :
Canker Sores Causes
Some of the possible reasons that trigger canker sores are as follow:
- Minor injury during dental work
- Take denture treatment from non-expert dentist
- Harsh, hard brushing
- Spicy and acidic food
- Accidently bite the cheek
- Use of toothpastes and mouth wash that contains sodium lauryl sulfate
- Intake of food that lacks iron, vitamin B, zinc and folic acid
- Allergic reaction in response of bacteria
- Hormonal imbalance and shift in menstruation
- Stress and anxiety relevant to emotions
It can also be cause to certain diseases like:
- Intestinal disorder
- Increase in acidity to gluten
- Inflammatory bowl diseases
- Ulcers in stomach
- Imbalance immune system; through which virus or bacteria attack easily
- HIV or AIDS
Canker Sores Symptoms
Some of the common symptoms to identify canker sores are as follow:
- Red spots or bumps lying under the jaws areas that are very painful
- White or yellowish substance in the center of the sore
- Usually present inside the cheeks, lips or at the base of the gums
- In severe canker sore, fever is very common
- Swollen nodes with some lymph
- Itchiness and extensive pain
Home Remedies for Canker Sores
Normally minor sores are cures within a week or two without taking any proper treatment. But if the sores are large and painful then it is better to consult some good and experienced dentist. In order to relief the pain some of the medication is prescribed.
- Mouth wash that contains antibiotic tetracycline is recommended to reduce the pain as well as lessen down the impact of infections. Such types of mouth rinses are very helpful in healing up the sores.
- Medicated toothpaste that mainly contains benzocaine is very effective to speed the healing and relieving pain. Apply the paste from two to four times a day.
- Similarly powerful anti-inflammatory ointments are given to heal up the sore. These ointments contain corticosteroids that prevent the sore from bacterial infections.
- Along with all these treatments, it is necessary to regularly intake the nutritional supplements. These supplements must contain vitamin B-12, zinc, iron and folic acid. It speeds up the healing process. Because canker sores are mostly related with unhealthy and unhygienic conditions.
Some of the following Home Remedies for Canker Sores are also very effective to heal up sores.
- Use of salt water or soda water is very effect for cleaning mouth, teeth and gums. So regularly use it.
- Use of baking soda toothpaste help to cure the sores. If the sores are cover with that past, it gives relief to pain
- Avoid taking spicy or acidic food till the time sores are fully cured. Because it will cause severe irritation and pain on sores.
- Icing is helpful in dissolving the sores quickly.