Table of Contents
What is Athlete’s Foot
It is the fungal infection that affects the epidermal layer of the foot. When the feet are kept packed for a longer period of time in damp and moist conditions. The fungus that causes the athlete’s foot is known as “Trichophyton” which is commonly found in clothing and close contact areas. It is the extension of ringworm due to the fact that its symptoms are almost same.
In case of carelessness, it can transform it into a bacterial infection which later damages the soft and fat tissues of the skin and become complicated to treat. Following are the causes, symptoms and home remedies for Athlete’s foot.
Athlete’s Foot Causes
The major cause is the fungal infection. The fungus is the microscopic organism that permanently stays in the damp and moist areas. That continuously grows on the human body. So it is better to keep the body clean in all manners.
Especially in the case when the feet are kept close and tight for a longer period of time in the shoes. Similarly, use of damp socks also provides a favorable environment for its growth. Along with that plastic shoes are also approving in this regard and cause infection. It is very contagious and that can be spread by sharing towel or close contact things.
Athlete’s Foot Symptoms
Some of the common signs and symptoms are as follow:
- Itchiness, burning and callous effect on the soles of the feet
- Itchy blisters
- Cracks and peeling skin between the toes and soles of the feet
- Excess dryness on the bottom and sides of the feet
- Nails get thicken, raggy, discolored and crumbly at the edges and nail bed
- Redness, swelling and fever
Athlete’s Foot Treatment
For the treatment of athlete’s foot, antifungal drugs are given. It is in form of
- sprays and
Over the counter creams includes:
For the application of tropical medicines, make the feet clean, wash them and properly dry them with the towel. Then apply the medicine on the entire affected areas plus the normal area. This is very effective in healing the rash but it does not mean that the area is infection free.
While the oral medicines include
But the dose differs for elders and children. In case of pregnant women, always take the medicine after consulting doctor because such types of medication interfere with the male and female reproductive system. In severe condition, hydrocortisone is the highly recommendable medicine that gives the effective and quick healing effect.
Home Remedies for Athlete’s Foot
In order to minimize the growth of fungus and reduce the risk of athlete’s foot, some of the precautionary measures should be taken including:
- Daily wash the feet with soap and water
- After washing make them completely dry, especially the area between the toes
- Always wear the cotton socks; it absorbs the moisture.
- In order to keep your feet safe, regularly change the shoes and socks
- Do not share the towel with anyone and make it clean. Try to wash it repeatedly.
Follow the above mentioned home remedies for athlete’s foot to get cure from this problem.